History of Taitlands
Work started on Taitlands in 1831 and continued for at least 17 years. The property was built for Thomas Joseph Redmayne and his wife Jane in the Greek Revival style including entrance portico, fluted columns wth cast iron balcony above and a huge sweeping staircase. Following the death of Thomas Redmayne in 1862, the house changed hands a number of times before the YHA (Youth Hostel Association) purchased it in the 1940′s.
Following streamlining of the YHA’s properties, Taitlands was purchased in 2007 by Emma Sharp who fell in love with the buildings and the place and decided to return it all to its former glory after many years of disrepair. Taitlands is a Grade II listed building so all the work had to be carried out in a sympathetic manner to protect the buildings and preserve their history.
A selection of photos showing the work undertaken can be seen on the Gallery page.
Taitlands opened its doors to the public in September 2011.